This week’s news is focused on new research in a broad range of topics, from linguistics to biology. One study looks at slang terms for commonly used recreational drugs across the United States, with a wider variety of popular terms than you may expect. Another found that people over 90 years old actually benefit from drinking two alcohol beverages per day, but that study has been widely mis-reported. And finally, another study found that there are not enough prescribers of buprenonorphine in eleven states, including some hit hardest by the opioid overdose crisis.
- Illinois voters could be asked in November about legalizing marijuana
- Is It Weed or Bud? Rolls or Molly? Blow or Snow?
- UCI press release: “The 90+ Study Finds Link Between Moderate Alcohol Consumption And Longevity”
- Study: Not enough providers to address opioid epidemic in 11 states
- The Indiana Court of Appeals ruled police can search your vehicle with a drug dog if you voluntarily admit to past drug possession. The defendant in the original case told the officer he had legally possessed marijuana in Washington. The ruling may now be appealed to the state’s supreme court.
- Marijuana Business Daily has a good feature up on The Hershey Company’s multiple trademark lawsuits against cannabis companies in the past year. Strangely, they make a habit of going after retailers rather than producers, even though retailers aren’t the ones branding those products.
- Legislation (HB1) in Kentucky could alter state policy to allow the state to label any baby born with drug dependency issues an “abused or neglected child,” requiring officials to begin an investigation into terminating parental rights.
- This week, Manitoba Canada awarded four licenses for companies to sell recreational cannabis when it becomes legal this summer. And as a shout-out to the team at my day job with 4Front Ventures, this was the first time we’ve won a license outside the United States, as part of a team with Tokyo Smoke and BOBHQ.
- SSDP2018 is this coming weekend! Come to our panels!
- Rachelle has 2 panels
- Incubating ideas – 10:30am Saturday
- Expungement – 2:45pm Saturday
- Sam has 1 panel
- Ballot initiatives – 2:45pm Saturday
- Sarah has 1 panel
- Mental health – 4pm Sunday
- Rachelle has 2 panels
- April 28 – May 1, 2019: HR19 Host City Announced as Porto, Portugal
Thank you to all who support us on Patreon, including:
- Tom Angell’s Marijuana Moment
- Ogden Studios
- Matt Garland
- Zachary Ferguson
- Get your name or business listed here for as little as $10/month!
Intro: Dance for Sport by the2ba
Like what we do? Help pay our bills.